Vintage video of Simsbury’s original Engine 1
In the early days of the 1900’s Simsbury’s fire protection was provided by the Ensign Bickford Company which maintained a fire brigade to protect their highly flammable production facilities. They owned and operated a 1921 Reo fire truck which was sold to the Lost Acres Fire Department following the purchase of a new American LaFrance International Fire Engine in 1935 which would become Simsbury’s own Engine 1 when Ensign Bickford ended fire protection for the town and the Simsbury Volunteer Fire Company was formed in 1944. Engine 1 has been restored and is located in the lobby of the Main Fire Station on Hopmeadow Street, It is still functional and is displayed at various parades and events during the year. The 1921 Reo that was sold to Lost Acres has also been restored and is seen at many parades.
We found this video thanks to SCTV, the Simsbury Historical Society and one of our members. We are excited to share this short clip with you.
If anyone has any old pictures or film of early days of the Simsbury especially Fire Department related please contact us as we would like to capture and share.